[dmd-beta] Migration path for enum Endian?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Sep 6 15:39:39 PDT 2011

Also, I would point out that because you can't deprecate enum values, the only
deprecation path is to have to have soft migration followed by removal. So, I
don't know how much code breakage you're really saving by leaving the old enum
values in temporarily. We can still do it, but the deprecated keyword and
whatever it brings to the table can't be involved in the process, because you
can't put attributes on enum values.

Fortunately, there weren't all that many enum values in Phobos which didn't
follow the correct naming conventions outside of std.socket, and after this
release, the only enum values with incorrect names should be the ones in
std.socket, which looks like it's probably going to be revamped anyway.

- Jonathan M Davis