[dmd-beta] Fighting with 2.059 and not quite winning

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Apr 5 21:15:28 PDT 2012

On Friday, April 06, 2012 06:59:58 Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 06:43:43 +0300, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
>
> wrote:
> > On Friday, April 06, 2012 06:26:19 Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> >> The first problem was due to std.conv not being pure-friendly. I don't
> >> know why text(1) or to!string(1) aren't pure. (I've left this alone for
> >> now to figure out later.)
> >
> > They never have been.
>
> Yes; this is not a regression, but the enforcements of
> const-pure- at safe-nothrow of the struct methods are forcing me to use only
> pure/nothrow functions all the way. And I can't even do a number-to-string
> conversion.

That's enforced now? If so, then the lack of purity for string conversions
does become a serious issue which must be sorted out ASAP. Still, while I can
understand why classes would enforce them (though last time I looked at
Object, it hadn't marked them as such even though that's planned), I don't
know why structs would.

- Jonathan M Davis