[dmd-beta] D 1.074 and 2.059 betas

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Apr 6 00:41:22 PDT 2012

On Friday, April 06, 2012 03:38:50 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> From: "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
>
> > However, why would you really want to be able to build with 2.058 once
> > 2.059
> > is out? Granted, in the long run, breaking changes should become very
> > uncommon
> > such that it doesn't really matter which version of the compiler you're
> > using
> > for most things, but still, I don't see why you can't just say that the
> > latest
> > compiler is required to use your code if you're posting it somewhere.
>
> Because libraries that only work with one compiler version are annoying for
> their users.

Understandable, but dmd is still early enough in its development that you
can't rely on everything working the same from release to release (though it's
getting better; changes are now mostly due to bug fixes rather than drastic
feature changes or regressions - particularly since we're trying harder to fix
all new regressions before releasing), and in general, you really should be
using the latest compiler. In the long run, that should change, but we're not
quite there yet.

- Jonathan M Davis