[dmd-beta] dmd 1.074 and 2.059 beta 5

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Tue Apr 10 18:28:53 PDT 2012

On 4/10/2012 6:12 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Yeah, I agree that whatever forward reference model we'll end up with down the
> road, the conditional thing I was doing in Thrift will probably be illegal
> there. Fortunately, that one's easy to remove – it was just to avoid adding a
> »useless« empty field, the value of which is questionable anyway.
>
> Also, I hope that I didn't come across too grumpy – if so, it was certainly
> not intended, as I know that I'm not exactly sticking to well-trodden ground
> in some parts of the Thrift implementation. It's just that I already ended up
> tracking down seven issues during what I hoped would be a bit of hassle-free
> pre-release testing, and currently, I'm working on reducing another strange,
> possibly related bug…
>
> David

I admit that what you're doing in the Thrift implementation just makes my brain
hurt :-)

Our goal here is to make it a hassle free release, and that means stomping out
any new regressions. The only thing that trumps that, however, is fixing broken
things in the implementation. Unfortunately, your code was inadvertently relying
on implementation bugs. My goal is to make all non-circular forward references
work by switching to a lazy semantic evaluation method, and making as many of
the circular references as possible work.

I'm relieved you were able to find an easy workaround.

The bugs you (and the others here) have posted are a huge help to making 2.059 a
better, more hassle-free release.