[dmd-beta] Fw: lucky winner

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Thu Aug 16 03:50:34 PDT 2012

Walter Bright, el 16 de August a las 02:27 me escribiste:
> On 8/16/2012 2:13 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >I'm starting to get a lot of bullshit like this on my "DMD
> >Beta-List-Only" email address, which means this mailing list is
> >an email harvesting ground. Which is not at all surprising considering
> >this mailing list is a...*mailing list*.
>
> Fortunately, thunderbird's spam filters do a reasonably good job for
> me. It's nowhere near the problem it used to be for that.

And you have to deal with spam anyway, unless you manage to completely
avoid using e-mail, which seems like science fiction now :P, so is
a pretty bad argument against mailing lists (even when I do like NTTP
and use gmane to read several mailing lists through NNTP, I even
maintain a Debian/Ubuntu package for mutt with the NNTP patch[1], that's
how I like NNTP! :P).

Is also a pretty bad argument to explain the lack of beta visibility.
People are more familiar with e-mail and are more likely to subscribe to
a mailing list rather than learn what the hell NNTP is. And other
projects using mailing lists for betas (or nothing at all) get thousands
of user testing betas because they announce betas in their web pages and
regular announcement mailing lists. The lack of beta visibility is just
because... well... they are hidden and not treated as a first class
citizen.

[1] http://www.llucax.com.ar/proj/mutt-nntp-debian/