[dmd-beta] Fw: lucky winner

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Thu Aug 16 15:23:36 PDT 2012

Nick Sabalausky, el 16 de August a las 13:09 me escribiste:
> The way I achieve this is by:
>
> 1. Only giving out my real address to real people, never machines, and
> only ever posting it with some "user [at] domain [dot] com"
> obfuscation (which is still generally avoided).
>
> 2. For machines: Such as mailing lists, website logins, businesses,
> etc., for these I create a special email address dedicated to that
> particular business, website, mailing list, etc., and don't use it for
> anything else. That way if I do get spam, I know exactly where the
> weakness is (DMD Beta's mailing list system, in this case), and can
> kill the email address and replace it with a new throwaway (if it's
> even worth it).
>
> No spam, no heuristic bullshit, no false positives. So yes, it
> *IS* possible, and not at all difficult.

Well, we have different concepts of what "difficult" is. For me that's
much more difficult than training my bogofilter for a couple of days and
rest in peace leaving my real address *anywhere* without even bothering
to obfuscate it in any way. See? luca at llucax.com.ar,
luca at llucax.com.ar. :P
If someone ever publishes your e-mail address in a website all your
life's hard work of keeping your real address clean goes to the trash in
a blink, and you can't just throw it away.

> You'd be surprised just how few leaks there really are to email
> harvesters. Most systems are surprisingly resistent to leaking out
> addresses. Just not public mailing lists.

That was not my experience, I even got spam in addresses I never give to
ANYONE, not a single human being, and no machine. There are bots that
are really trying popular usernames in domains they know they have a lot
of users.