[dmd-beta] D 1.075 and 2.060 betas

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Tue Jul 24 15:17:24 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>> What if the automated test suite held a copy of what it tested with.
>> Candidate releases could be as simple as giving a URL to download the build
>> artifact.
>>

> Not a bad idea.

I have suggested this a long time ago, but the problem is that the
auto tester machines naturally only build a single platforms each,
thus making packaging a bit more annoying if we want to stick to the
»huge single ZIP« approach. Aggregating the results shouldn't exactly
be hard, but we'd also need a solid script to do that *hint, hint*.

Nevertheless, providing nightly snapshots for users to download would
be really helpful for users who don't want to go through the hassles
of building DMD/druntime/Phobos on their own, but still want to test
new features or check for regressions. Several (most?) high-profile
open source projects do this.

Besides that, please consider to number beta releases consecutively
(as in dmd-2.060-beta1.zip), incrementing the version on each and
every change (i.e. never touch the old archives). While generally
helpful for reducing confusion, this comes in handy particularly when
new regressions is introduced during the beta period.

David