[dmd-beta] D 1.075 and 2.060 betas

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Jul 27 00:04:13 PDT 2012

On Jul 27, 2012, at 08:54 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen <xtzgzorex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since always? I mean, nobody actually uses cmd.exe on Windows, do they?

First, shell scripts are not portable. You have to be very careful which language constructs you choose to use. It's very easy you suddenly use a language construct that is an extension only available in a particular shell.

> It's literally the only platform without a shell installed by default,
> and even then, getting a shell via MinGW or Cygwin is trivial.

I don't agree. I wouldn't want to ask my users of an application/tool to have to install MinGW or Cygwin. Preferably the shouldn't have to install anything. That basically means native code.

--
/Jacob Carlborg