[dmd-beta] D 1.075 and 2.060 betas

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 01:48:27 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2012, at 08:54 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen <xtzgzorex at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Since always? I mean, nobody actually uses cmd.exe on Windows, do they?
>

> First, shell scripts are not portable. You have to be very careful which
> language constructs you choose to use. It's very easy you suddenly use a
> language construct that is an extension only available in a particular
> shell.

Then I think you mean those extensions aren't portable. :)

Also, the script is written for zsh which is fully compatible with
bash, which is available practically everywhere. It's not just a
generic sh script, but is still portable enough by being written for
bash.

> It's literally the only platform without a shell installed by default,
> and even then, getting a shell via MinGW or Cygwin is trivial.
>

> I don't agree. I wouldn't want to ask my users of an application/tool to
> have to install MinGW or Cygwin. Preferably the shouldn't have to install
> anything. That basically means native code.

This is a script for use by developers, not by end users. Can you
honestly develop on Windows without MinGW/Cygwin? I wouldn't even
bother with the platform if it wasn't for those two.