[dmd-beta] D 1.075 and 2.060 betas

Don Clugston dclugston at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 02:09:23 PDT 2012

On 27 July 2012 09:04, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2012, at 08:54 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen <xtzgzorex at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Since always? I mean, nobody actually uses cmd.exe on Windows, do they?
>

> First, shell scripts are not portable. You have to be very careful which
> language constructs you choose to use. It's very easy you suddenly use a
> language construct that is an extension only available in a particular
> shell.
>

> It's literally the only platform without a shell installed by default,
> and even then, getting a shell via MinGW or Cygwin is trivial.
>

> I don't agree. I wouldn't want to ask my users of an application/tool to
> have to install MinGW or Cygwin. Preferably the shouldn't have to install
> anything. That basically means native code.

It's easy to download it, but integrating it into your system can go
pretty badly wrong.
For example, if you end up with gnu make installed, you need to make
sure it never
gets called instead of Windows make.
Oh the fun you can have if you end up with both MinGW and Cygwin installed...

Windows still has nearly 90% market share. it's not acceptable to
treat it as a second class citizen, especially on something as trivial
as this.

Seriously, we want to remove every possible to barrier to participation.