[dmd-beta] D 1.075 and 2.060 betas

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 02:37:39 PDT 2012

On 27-Jul-12 13:30, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>> It's easy to download it, but integrating it into your system can go
>> pretty badly wrong.
>> For example, if you end up with gnu make installed, you need to make
>> sure it never
>> gets called instead of Windows make.
> Windows has make?
Yes, you know world is round and every compiler vendor has its own make.

>> Oh the fun you can have if you end up with both MinGW and Cygwin installed...
> I have had both installed for years without trouble. I mostly use the
> former as development environment and the latter as general POSIX
> environment (think SSH and other such utilities).
>> Windows still has nearly 90% market share. it's not acceptable to
>> treat it as a second class citizen, especially on something as trivial
>> as this.
> So... we should write batch 'scripts' to treat it as first class? I
> won't stop you, but err... ;)
batch scripts are an abomination indeed :)

But the answer is to make a _tool_ . Did anyone expected that rdmd
should be a shell script? I don't think so.
Did anyone had problem with it that it doesn't compile where D compiler
is not available?
>> Seriously, we want to remove every possible to barrier to participation.
> MinGW and Cygwin are "barriers"? Really? They're extremely trivial to
> install, especially Cygwin...

I hope you are joking. Last time I checked Cygwin even didn't have
proper uninstaller leaving me removing it by hand from PATH and whatnot.

--
Dmitry Olshansky