[dmd-beta] D 1.075 and 2.060 betas

Nick Sabalausky bus_dmdbeta at semitwist.com
Fri Jul 27 02:49:40 PDT 2012

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:30:33 +0200
Alex Rønne Petersen <xtzgzorex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Windows has make?

Yes, as part of MSVC, I belive. It's been around for a long time,
actually.

And it's incompatible with GNU make, of course :/

> > Seriously, we want to remove every possible to barrier to
> > participation.
>
> MinGW and Cygwin are "barriers"? Really? They're extremely trivial to
> install, especially Cygwin...

I've had a lot of problems getting them installed and working in the
past. (Even just figuring out what installers you needed, and in what
order, used to be inexplicably convoluted - I think that may have been
fixed now though.) Plus, *any* prerequisite is a barrier to entry: This
unfortunately isn't Linux where you can just "sudo apt-get install
whatever" and get all prerequisites for free (free as in effort) (And
yea, I know apt-get isn't universal across Linux).