[dmd-beta] D 1.075 and 2.060 betas

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Jul 27 04:58:36 PDT 2012

On Jul 27, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen <xtzgzorex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then I think you mean those extensions aren't portable. :)

Well, that's true. But what I mean is that is too easy to start using the extensions without even knowing it. Say you need to know how to do a specific thing in shell script and search for a solution. You found a solution and start to use it. Months later you find out that you've used an extension and non-portable feature of you're shell script.

> Also, the script is written for zsh which is fully compatible with
> bash, which is available practically everywhere. It's not just a
> generic sh script, but is still portable enough by being written for
> bash.

When I release DVM I got several complains about the shell scripts not working. I didn't even know I had used extensions.

> > It's literally the only platform without a shell installed by default,
> > and even then, getting a shell via MinGW or Cygwin is trivial.
> >

> > I don't agree. I wouldn't want to ask my users of an application/tool to
> > have to install MinGW or Cygwin. Preferably the shouldn't have to install
> > anything. That basically means native code.
>
> This is a script for use by developers, not by end users.

Ok, ok.
> Can you honestly develop on Windows without MinGW/Cygwin? I wouldn't even
> bother with the platform if it wasn't for those two.

I mostly don't use Windows at all. I'm just compiling the code on Windows, run the tests and then be done with it.

I would need to port DVM to MinGW and/or Cygwin as well.

--
/Jacob Carlborg