[dmd-beta] D 2.062 beta

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sun Feb 10 12:51:21 PST 2013

On 10.02.2013 21:03, Walter Bright wrote:

> On 2/10/2013 11:51 AM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>> Doesn't installation descriptions like the one in the wiki (
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Installing_DMD_on_64-bit_Windows_7_%28COFF-compatible%29
>> ) make you a lot more nervous? There is so much more that can go wrong
>> right now.
>
> I don't know why Gor felt compelled to make those changes - I don't see
> why all of them are necessary.

I agree most of it isn't necessary. I guess it's partly a problem of
lacking documentation, but also caused by the "magic" library path
settings in link.c, that probably only work with VS2010. It does not
work with VS2012 (includes Windows 8 SDK) and probably not with the
Windows 7 SDK (includes binaries from VS2008).

My suggestion is trying to make it work out of the box for most
installations while removing version specific code from the compiler itself.