[dmd-beta] D 2.062 beta

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Tue Feb 12 12:45:55 PST 2013

On 2/12/2013 12:27 AM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> Format of the ini file is an unrelated issue. I guess Windows users are more
> familiar with ini files than with JSON, which adds syntactical noise for
> features that are currently unused. Being standardized it's also more
> problematic to modify the format with functionality like the proposed "?=" to
> set a value only if it isn't set in the environment yet (though other syntax
> might be invented like prepending a "%@no_overwrite%" to the value).

I don't think it is problematic, it's just a different way of thinking. The
current .ini files override environment variables. You proposed a method of
providing a 'default' setting. In json,

{
     "Environment": { "override" : { "name" : "value",
                                                           "baz" : "foo" },
                                   "default" : { "foo" : "bar" }

or something similar. For backwards compatibility, the old .ini format can still
be recognized. The nice thing about json is we can add features without changing
the file format.