[dmd-beta] D 2.062 beta

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Feb 16 19:00:08 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 09:49:01PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:34:22 -0800
> Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:
[...]
> > (It is a fast machine - 6 cores, 16Gb ram, it flies through the test
> > suite!) _______________________________________________
>
> Dayam!
[...]

I have a 6-core 32GB RAM machine. ;-)

Yet even I am running into out-of-memory problems when running Phobos'
test suite in parallel. I used to be able to do it at -j6 (heck,
sometimes I did -j8 just to max out the cores while some stuff is
waiting on I/O), but nowadays the std.algorithm unittests for whatever
reason take an incredible amount of memory to run -- or maybe it's DMD
compiling the overly-gigantic std.algorithm clashing with whatever else
is running ATM -- and even at -j2 or -j3 I risk seeing random OOM
failures.

(But this is just my gut feeling, I didn't really look into what exactly
was causing the OOMs. All I knew was that adding certain unittests to
std.algorithm caused the test suite to OOM. Keeps my unittest-writing
frenzy in check. :-P)

Some days you win; most days you lose.