[dmd-beta] D 2.062 beta

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Feb 17 12:38:09 PST 2013

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:05:14 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/17/2013 7:11 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> > On 17 feb 2013, at 12:37, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> >> Hmm, does it install over Win7, or would I have to reinstall Win7?
> >
> > As Daniel said, it's an application that is run inside Windows. You have a
> > host and a guest system. In this case the host system would be your
> > natively installed Windows 7. The guest system is what's run inside
> > virtualbox and is FreeBSD in this case.
> >
> > https://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> "FreeBSD 6.2 is known to cause problems. Requires VT-x. Requires FreeBSD
> Guest Additions, available as a port emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions" --
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes
>
> Uh-oh!!

Well, considering that they appear to be on 9.1 now, I wouldn't think that it
would matter much how well it works with 6.2 unless you specifically need to
test 6.2 for some reason. I wouldn't think that VT-x would be a big deal, but
I guess that that depends on your CPU, since Intel appears to not put it on
its lower-end chips, and if you have an AMD chip, it'll probably work just
fine, since most of the entries on that page list AMD-V as working as well
(though maybe it actually requires VT-x specifically). And as for the guest
additions, you'll want those regardless, since that's what will allow you to
transfer files between the virtual machine and the outside without using the
network (as well as add or improve a number of other features).

So, maybe it's a problem, but it'll probably work just fine.

- Jonathan M Davis