[dmd-beta] dmd 2.064 beta take 2

w0rp devw0rp at gmail.com
Wed May 15 12:44:21 PDT 2013

I think the const member with a default overridden by a constructor
thing makes perfect sense to me. The one thing bugging me about the
complaint about the breaking change is that it's a very easy issue to
address. There are two solutions I like.

static const int x = 3; // static gets us out of struct storage.
enum int x = 3; // A strictly compile-time constant.

So, you just insert a few characters and the issue has been addressed.
The way I see it, D is not C++, so breaking changes will happen from
time-to-time in order to make the language saner. const being part of
the struct is sane because it's consistent.