[dmd-beta] dmd 2.064 beta take 2

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri May 17 00:08:18 PDT 2013

On Friday, May 17, 2013 09:18:34 Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> 17.05.2013, в 3:46, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> написал(а):

> >> I understand that Phobos bug fixes are lower priority.
> >
> > Not sure where you got that understanding, but it's not true.
>
> This was intentionaly a bit provocative, it may be my impression only. Got
> to a definte no, it isn't.
>
> What leads me to this conclusion is that it seems that compared to dmd,
> Phobos lacks the focus of prioritizing bug fixes. Or we just had a long
> downtime w.r.t. pulling fixes.

Well, compiler bugs usually get more attention (and usually do have worse
consequences), so in that sense, they end up being higher priority, but I
suspect that the problem with Phobos pull requests is simply that those of us
with commit rights are not particularly consistent in merging stuff (likely
primarily being driven by time constraints). The compiler devs have improved
considerably on that count (particularly once people other than Walter had
commit rights), so they now at least give the appearance of doing a better job
at merging stuff in (especially if it's high priority).

- Jonathan M Davis