[dmd-beta] dmd 2.063 beta 3

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sat May 18 12:28:55 PDT 2013

On 5/18/13, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> I don't agree. A base class's scope must override the top level module
> scope.
>
> Also, a base class can always override what a derived class does. This is
> not hijacking.

Don't you see that this change in behavior is going to surprise a lot
of people? It's intuitive to me that this is going to cause trouble
down the road. A base class could be in another file, in another
library, and if the library writer decides to introduce a scoped
import, suddenly the user's code might end up calling the wrong
function (if the type signatures are the same the user will have *no
idea* what happened). This is the definition of function hijacking.

If it is a feature, it is not properly documented, and I can't tell
which pull request changed the behavior so I don't know whether to put
it in the changelog or not.

Kenji, maybe you know?