[dmd-beta] dmd 2.063 beta 5

Nick Sabalausky bus_dmdbeta at semitwist.com
Sat May 25 12:14:27 PDT 2013

On Sat, 25 May 2013 11:41:17 -0700
Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, zip on linux does not run on windows, and windows
> doesn't have an ssh host.

Genuine question, not sarcasm: What would the Windows-hosted ssh be
needed for? Maybe there's another way to achieve the same effect, like
running an SFTP server on the linux side?

> In any case, the various OS releases *do* have their own custom
> downloads,

AIUI, those are installers. Not useful for those of us who prefer
"dload, extract & run".

> so I don't really understand that complaint.

The problem is it's getting ridiculously bloated. On every system I put
DMD in, I have to extract around 100MB of irrelevant binaries, just to
then go and delete them (!) or else accumulate 1GB of junk per 10 DMDs.
On top of all that, it significantly increases both download and
extraction times.

The problem I don't understand is what's so wrong or problematic with
having the packaging scripts just generate separate OS archives
instead of separate OS directories within one archive.