[dmd-beta] dmd 2.063 beta 5

Nick Sabalausky bus_dmdbeta at semitwist.com
Sat May 25 21:01:07 PDT 2013

On Sat, 25 May 2013 16:21:11 -0700
Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 5/25/2013 3:29 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:34:46 -0700
> > Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> >> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer
> >>
> > I may be overlooking something obvious, but I'm not seeing the part
> > in there for generating the zip...?
>
> make install
> cd phobos
> make html
> make install
> cd ..\doc
> make
> make install
> cd phobos
[...etc...]

Heh, ok, I think I understand the problem ;)

Although I don't think this is important enough to hold up the 2.063
release, I'm going to see what I can do about a cleaned-up version
of that script that can go up on github, so we can easily do whatever
wrt zips.

Couple questions though:

1. I haven't been closely following the activity/discussions on the
matter, but do we have git branches now which all the betas and
releases are built directly from? Is it the "staging" branch of each
repo?

2. Walter: How in the heck is your working directory structure laid
out? I take it the starting point of your script isn't a single
directory containing direct checkouts of the "dmd", "phobos",
"druntime", "tools", "installer", "dlang.org" projects all as sister
directories to each other.

Related note, Something I think may be worth considering for the
future:

If we could get simple DMD-bootstrapping scripts into the installer
repo (actually, didn't Andrei already make something like that?), then
all the other scripts could be written in D itself. The big benefit I
see to that is dealing with error conditions, prerequisites, usability,
and multiple platforms (not to mention basic ordinary logic constructs)
is much, much simpler in D than in shell/bash/batch/etc. I wouldn't
mind tackling any or all of that in my spare time if there was interest.