[dmd-beta] getting ready for beta - but we have lots of regressions

Nick Sabalausky bus_dmdbeta at semitwist.com
Wed Oct 2 01:45:43 PDT 2013

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 22:37:17 -0700
Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 10/1/2013 8:04 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > On a related note (in case it hasn't been noticed), the release
> > generator tool should be usable now:
> >
> > https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/pull/24
> >
> > Aside from doing zip, 7z, OS-specific and all-OS releases, it should
> > also significantly reduce the risk of manual mistakes/oversights
> > like forgetting to rebuild tool X on OS Y, or included sources not
> > matching github, etc.
> >

> Thank you.
>
> I want to get to the point where the auto-tester automatically (and
> continuously) builds release packages. Does this fit in with that?

I don't know much about the autotester (whoever manages that would
need to chime in here). But AIUI, yes, it should fit into that very
well. In fact, that would probably be an ideal way to drive this tool.

All the autotester should need to do is invoke create_dmd_release
tool (just one command) on each platform and all the platform-specific
zip and 7z releases should be good to go.

Then, for the "all OSes" release, all the os-specific releases need to
be put in a common directory on a posix machine (I don't know how the
autotester would do that though, I would guess it wouldn't be too hard),
and then again it's just one more command.

The top of the tool's source file explains typical expected usage:

https://github.com/Abscissa/installer/blob/create_dmd_release/create_dmd_release/create_dmd_release.d

And there's a --help screen explaining all the options. (Speaking of
which, getopt() is awesome.)