[dmd-beta] dmd 2.065 rc 1

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Thu Feb 20 14:03:08 PST 2014

Andrew Edwards, el 17 de February a las 17:59 me escribiste:
> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd_2.065.0~rc1-0_amd64.deb
> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/libphobos2-65_2.065.0~rc1-0_amd64.deb

Hi, I'm inspecting in particular these debian packages and I found
points that could be improved:

* First is those two packages conflict and both provides the phobos
  libraries. Usually in Debian/Ubuntu what you should provide is
  a libphobos with the .so and a libphobos-dev with the headers and
  .so.version and .a. The dmd package should probably depend on
  libphobos-dev and should not provide headers or libraries.

* It is probably a good idea to provide a separate package for the extra
  tools (ddemangle, rdmd, etc), probably dmd-util or something like
  that. Maybe even a package per tool but it could be too much.

* 32 bit and 64 bit libraries should probably also be provided by
  different packages (with the same name but different architectures,
  this is supported by multiarch). In the common setup people only care
  about the current architecture and is not interested in
  cross-compiling.

* There is garbage in the include directories in phobos in the dmd
  package (in /usr/include/dmd/phobos). There are README files and even
  .d files that could get imported by mistake by user code. Ideally this
  should be sanitized and documentation moved to /usr/share/doc/dmd (or
  the respective phobos package).

I do understand maybe is not a priority to fix them right now (or for
this release) and I do appreciate the huge advances made in terms of
release and distribution, but I thought it might be useful to mention
them before I forget. :)

Thanks!