[dmd-beta] dmd 2.065 rc 1

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Thu Feb 20 18:01:54 PST 2014

Jordi Sayol, el 21 de February a las 00:09 me escribiste:
> El 20/02/14 23:03, Leandro Lucarella ha escrit:
> > Andrew Edwards, el 17 de February a las 17:59 me escribiste:
> >> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd_2.065.0~rc1-0_amd64.deb
> >> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/libphobos2-65_2.065.0~rc1-0_amd64.deb
> >
> > Hi, I'm inspecting in particular these debian packages and I found
> > points that could be improved:
> >
> > * First is those two packages conflict and both provides the phobos
> >   libraries. Usually in Debian/Ubuntu what you should provide is
> >   a libphobos with the .so and a libphobos-dev with the headers and
> >   .so.version and .a. The dmd package should probably depend on
> >   libphobos-dev and should not provide headers or libraries.
>
> This is not entirely correct.
>
> I would like to clarify something first:
> The dmd deb packages from <http://dlang.org/download.html> are
> "all-in-one" packages, so users has to download just one file to
> install everything related to dmd, and easily upgrade everything to
> new versions. This shouldn't be compared with the Debian repositories
> system, for that you have <http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/>.

Yeah, that's true, but then I don't understand why a libphobos2 is
provided at all as a simple download side by side with the all-in-one
dmd package. That's confusing.

> On d-apt repository there are four packages related with dmd:
> - "dmd-bin" - includes the compiler and other utilities. Depends on "libphobos2-dev"
> - "dmd-doc" - includes the documentation with a system menu entry, and man pages.
> - "libphobos2-65" - includes the runtime shared library "libphobos2.so.65.0" (real share lib) and "libphobos2.so.65" (SONAME symlink to the real lib).
> - "libphobos2-dev" - includes "libphobos2.a", source modules and "libphobos2.so" (symlink to real lib. It's just for linking purposes). Depends on "dmd-bin" and "libphobos2-65"
>
> A couple of things about "libphobos2-65":
> - It's present on <http://ftp.digitalmars.com/> because shared libraries are necessaries at run-time. Thus, users can run programs compiled with dmd on computers without the compiler installed.
> - Version is included on package name, allowing to install several versions at same time.

I think this doesn't make sense. Providing dependencies is something
each software distributor should do. Either you go through the package
system (in which case this .deb is not needed) or you take care of
providing an all-in-one bundle as provided by the direct download dmd
package. I really don't see the point on providing a libphobos2 package
outside a proper apt repository.

> > * There is garbage in the include directories in phobos in the dmd
> >   package (in /usr/include/dmd/phobos). There are README files and even
> >   .d files that could get imported by mistake by user code. Ideally this
> >   should be sanitized and documentation moved to /usr/share/doc/dmd (or
> >   the respective phobos package).
>
> You're right, I'll clean up, but I don't know if everything out of "std" directory can be removed.
> "etc" folder can be removed?

I don't think so, the `etc` package is somehow official. But probably
somebody else can provide a better answer.