[dmd-beta] 2.065 Final Release Prep

Daniel Murphy yebblies at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 22:14:13 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 6:34 PM, David Nadlinger <code at klickverbot.at>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Andrew Edwards <edwards.ac at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 2/24/14, 1:54 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think merging back into master is feasible at this point.  We
> have
> >> been merging fixes to master first, then cherry-picking/rebasing them
> to the
> >> release branch, and I don't think a merge to master is necessary or
> >> desirable with this model.
> >>
> > Make sense to me.
>
> Please don't just skip over the entire earlier discussion like this.
>
> @Daniel: I'd argue that it is only really necessary and desirable
> precisely in that model, because the Git history holds all the merging
> information otherwise anyway. But I really thought we were done with
> this discussion some weeks ago...

If I understand correctly, your problem is that you are jumping from one
release tag to the next, and the last tag will not be a parent of the new
tag.

Why can't you do the merge in two steps - merge up to the common ancestor,
then create a 2.065 branch and merge the upstream release branch into that?