[dmd-beta] Preparation for 2.65

Andrew Edwards edwards.ac at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 15:02:56 PST 2014

On 1/10/14, 5:44 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 1/10/14 2:37 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> 1. delay forming the branch as long as possible, at least up to the
>> point where the regression list is minimized and we're ready to go to
>> data.
>>
>> 2. work on future features is not really delayed, the pull requests can
>> still be made
>
> I agree. Essentially we should create the branch when we have the
> feeling "well, what's in master right now makes for a good release
> candidate".

I disagree on the "feeling" thing. That's the way it's been done all
along and it does not prove to be very reliable. Schedules may become
delayed for any number of reasons but we should make a best effort to
stick to them as close as possible. I suggest that if we merely branch
when we feel like it then the schedule will never be adhered to and we
will slowly degrade back to our original state.

Remember also that regressions don't stop showing up because we fixed
one. We need to identify which ones will be addressed by the next
release and creation of the branch does just that.