[dmd-beta] Release Engineering as a Force Multiplier

Jesse Phillips jesse.k.phillips at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 08:51:37 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Marco Leise <Marco.Leise at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 20.01.2014, 05:32 Uhr, schrieb Martin Nowak <code at dawg.eu>:
>

>  Interesting talk by Mozilla's director of release engineering.
>> http://youtu.be/7j0NDGJVROI
>>

> I didn't watch it, because after a few minutes into the talk I realized: A
> guy from Mozilla talks at Google about the new release scheme they adapted
> from Google's own Chrome browser and ruined their browser with heaps of
> regression bugs and confusion about versions. Whatever the success of
> Firefox is, it was there before they changed their release process. That
> said it was a lesson learned, so maybe the talk wasn't that bad objectively.

 Have the regressions been continuous? Or just during the initial change in
process? I didn't notice any stability changes. The version numbers have
nothing to do with the talk.

Here is where they show their workflow (have to go back for where they
start talking about workflow)
http://youtu.be/7j0NDGJVROI?t=50m24s

It looks like the structure Debian uses

ash => experimental
inbound => unstable
central => testing
aurora => testing
beta => stable
release => stable

The arrows suggest that changes are allows made to the stablest development
branch and push back from there, so no cherry-picking.

--
Jesse Phillips