[dmd-beta] beta branch name

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Thu Jan 23 11:01:58 PST 2014

On 1/23/2014 10:10 AM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On 1/23/14 9:50 AM, Andrew Edwards wrote:
>> On 1/23/14, 12:29 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>>> When did the beta branch switch from '2.065' to 'release' and why? What's
>>> going to happen post
>>> 2.065 when it's time for 2.066?  And when 2.065 needs a critical bug fix
>>> release?
>>>
>> Yes it did. Once 2.065 is released, the branch will be merged back into
>> master and then deleted.
>> When it's time to prepare 2.066, a new release branch will be created. See
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Simplified_Release_Process_Proposal for additional
>> information.
>
> I don't know who to be mad at here, but this is getting !@#$@@#$ing stupid.
>
> Per-release branches were working fine.  They make it easy to keep adding
> fixes to after release. They're simple.  They're easy to track.  Etc etc.
> They're tried and true for oh so many projects.
>
> Sigh, how many more ways is this release going to suck?

I agree, I don't know what's wrong with what we had before:

1. All pull requests get merged to master
2. Create 2.065 branch
3. Cherry-pick from master to 2.065 as required
4. Tag 2.065.whatever as releases get done on that branch

Easy, simple. All these other procedures seem like massive over-engineering to me.