[dmd-beta] beta branch name

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Thu Jan 23 11:03:15 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 1/23/14 9:50 AM, Andrew Edwards wrote:
>
>> On 1/23/14, 12:29 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> When did the beta branch switch from '2.065' to 'release' and why?
>>> What's going to happen post
>>> 2.065 when it's time for 2.066?  And when 2.065 needs a critical bug fix
>>> release?
>>>
>>>  Yes it did. Once 2.065 is released, the branch will be merged back into
>> master and then deleted.
>> When it's time to prepare 2.066, a new release branch will be created. See
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Simplified_Release_Process_Proposal for additional
>> information.
>>

> I don't know who to be mad at here, but this is getting !@#$@@#$ing stupid.
>
> Per-release branches were working fine.  They make it easy to keep adding
> fixes to after release. They're simple.  They're easy to track.  Etc etc.
>  They're tried and true for oh so many projects.

Something had to change because the release process wasn't working in
practice. Very few people were targeting the right branches or merging
changes between branches. I do find tags and temporary working release
branches a lot more hygienic and simple but I don't have a strong opinion
about that aspect.  The only part I think is important with the simplified
process is having contributors always target master and let the release
manager take care of pulling bug fixes into the release branch. Any other
aspect of how this is implemented isn't terribly important so if you think
using release branches help significantly we should probably reintroduce
them.

> Sigh, how many more ways is this release going to suck?

I think a little patience is in order for this release.  It's the first
release by our first release manager/build master using tools that have
never been used prior.