[dmd-beta] beta branch name

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Thu Jan 23 11:14:37 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> I agree, I don't know what's wrong with what we had before:
>
> 1. All pull requests get merged to master
> 2. Create 2.065 branch
> 3. Cherry-pick from master to 2.065 as required
> 4. Tag 2.065.whatever as releases get done on that branch
>
> Easy, simple. All these other procedures seem like massive
> over-engineering to me.

I actually wrote up the simplified proposal to switch the formal process
over to almost exactly what you just said (with the non essential
difference that release branches are temporary and don't have a version in
their name). What we had before[1] specifically forbade cherry-picking and
instead relied on all contributors targeting multiple branches with their
pull requests (which almost nobody ever did as Andrew pointed out).

If we want to use release branches that stick around forever that's fine.
Steps 1 and 3 are all I care about having in any release process.

[1] http://wiki.dlang.org/Development_and_Release_Process