[dmd-beta] beta branch name

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Thu Jan 23 14:17:46 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Andrew Edwards <edwards.ac at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/23/14, 2:01 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> I agree, I don't know what's wrong with what we had before:
>>
>> 1. All pull requests get merged to master
>> 2. Create 2.065 branch
>> 3. Cherry-pick from master to 2.065 as required
>> 4. Tag 2.065.whatever as releases get done on that branch
>>
>> Easy, simple. All these other procedures seem like massive
>> over-engineering to me.
>
> Good to go... I for one did not see either of you weigh in on the proposal
> when Brad Roberts

Brad Anderson :P

> made it (http://forum.dlang.org/post/CAFU1Uzpm4DBADOxMjcJ_Guj1=
> T8BQ4nPb5OEbADNbUQDD2ijuQ at mail.gmail.com). I decided to use it because,
> compared to the alternative of trying to convince volunteers to do
> something they do not want to, it would be much simpler for me to follow
> this scheme.

I wish I would have thought to email Brad directly (sorry, Brad) to make
sure he saw it and could weigh in. Especially since apart from you he's
really the only other person that needs to change anything to adopt this
workflow.

> To me there is no difference between the two processes, except the "we've
> always done it this way syndrome". Fixes are generated from release tags
> into a hotfix branch. Once the fix is released, we merge it back into
> master, remove the branch and move on. I am preparing both releases and
> hotpicks so I don't see any extra work being generated for the devs.
>
> The only chance I see on your parts is the need to change the tester
> scripts to point search for and test "hotfix" and "release" branches if
> they exist. I'm not the person doing that so I might have an overly
> simplified view of your processes but I really don't see the big deal.

If Brad Roberts decides it's too hard for whatever reason we should be able
to just change the workflow over to use a versioned branch name and
dropping the step where the branch is deleted. Then the hotfix process
would just checkout the versioned branch (and skip the delete as well). I
like the tag and delete method better but we can't sacrifice the autotester
for that.