[dmd-beta] beta branch name

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Thu Jan 23 15:53:55 PST 2014

Brad Anderson, el 23 de January a las 15:07 me escribiste:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Михаил Страшун <public at dicebot.lv> wrote:
>
> > I see no simplification in calling release branch "release" over using
> > versioned name. Merging it back and deleting is right thing to do but there
> > is a benefit in keeping names unambiguous in terms of pure communication.
> >
> > We have yet to read Andrew feedback about how cumbersome will be resolving
> > conflicts upon branch merge to master with such approach. I will reserve my
> > judgement until then ;)
> >

> The naming isn't really part of the simplification.  I just used "release"
> because it's what I'm familiar with (because it's part of Git Flow[1] which
> I use regularly).  What it's called doesn't matter too much to me (I can't
> speak for Andrew though).
>
> The simplification comes mostly from making one person responsible for the
> release branch instead of trying to get everyone to follow the process.
> This makes Andrew's job one of herding commits rather than herding people
> (the former is significantly easier in my experience).
>
> I do think deleting the release branch when the release is done keeps
> things simpler and much more tidy but if that's going to cause big problems
> for the AutoTester that may not be worth it since the AutoTester is
> absolutely essential.

Is not only the auto-tester, using the branch name as the version you
are releasing is self-documenting, you keep that branch and keep adding
hotfixes while it's in the maintenance period. The process is very
clear. I agree about having a release manager in charge of porting fixes
back to the release branch (or stable branch once is released), but
naming it release *and then deleting it when is released* makes
everything very confusing!