[dmd-beta] beta branch name

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Thu Jan 23 21:42:26 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:

> The problem is that as specified, _every_ fix requires also setting up
> builds in the auto-tester (regardless of who does it).  That should be once
> per maintained version.  Deleting and recreating is a waste of everyone's
> time.

OK, makes sense in the context of the autotester since it requires
specifying the branches to test in `server/add/github-post.ghtml` (if I'm
understanding how it works properly). I was thinking it might be as easy as
just having the autotester test every branch on D-P-L (or just release and
hotfix only if they are present). It doesn't look like how it works is very
adaptable to that type of setup though.

> It's not just me that's affected.  Anyone who wants to test releases as
> they're being built has to carefully track what branch to use when, which
> is tedious and a waste of time.

They checkout `release` if there is an upcoming release, otherwise a tag.
 I don't see any difference here other than typing `git checkout release`
instead of `git checkout 2.065`.

> Also, what if we decide to patch two past releases, does that happen
> serially, using the release branch name for each of the versions one at a
> time?  Also stupid and a waste of time.

It seems incredibly unlikely this would ever happen.  Like I said though,
we can call the branches whatever and not delete them if that makes it
easier for you. This aspect isn't important to how it all works.

Should I continue or is it obvious now?

I don't understand why you are always so hostile in your correspondences.