[dmd-beta] Cherry-picking II

Andrew Edwards edwards.ac at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 09:27:52 PST 2014

Recent experience with #3103 and #3151 suggests that there needs to be a
better way of identifying what goes in the releases. Currently, I am
honing in on regressions and ICEs because those are the stated
objectives for this release. That being said, if I read one of these
fixes and is says git master/head only, I simply mark it as ignore and
move on. If another fix appearing down the line depends on the one I've
ignored to be merged first, I do not know if it does not explicitly state.

Additionally, it causes a slight confusion when I encounter errors upon
attempts to sync local branch with upstream branch, which I'm under the
assumption that I'm the only one cherry picking to, because someone else
is committing to that branch.

These two issues prompts me to suggest that instead of simply merge and
forget or merge and cherry-pick yourselves that you simply assign the PR
to me after the merge if it is intended to be included in the upcoming
release cycle. With this one action, we can alleviate all confusion
about what should be include in the release and prevent errors/conflicts
when trying to commit to release branches upstream.

Your understanding and efforts are appreciated.

Regards,
Andrew