[dmd-concurrency] draft 8: the final countdown

Christian Kamm kamm at incasoftware.de
Wed Feb 10 12:05:11 PST 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 16:05 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I can't believe it's not butter! Draft 8 is the first that completely
> covers the topics I'd planned. For a good time download:
>
> http://erdani.com/d/fragment.preview.pdf

Interesting read!

* The first message passing example uses tid.send(thisTid, i) to send a Tid
and an int. Then you describe the pattern matching in receive and explain that
receive( (string) {} ); matches send(tid, "hello");. I guess that should be
tid.send("hello") or the former ought to have been send(tid, thisTid, i)? If
there are two versions of send - or if the uniform call syntax made it into D2
- I think switching between them at this point hurts clarity.

* The synchronized version of BankAccount is missing a @property on balance.
And one of the not-really-D versions has it, the other doesn't.

* The collection of apostrophes in ‘we’re done, let’s finish and go home.’
looks odd.

* The parts of the text I read looked great. I'd drop the "legally-acquired"
and move the "Best Form-Follows-Function" explanation to the section on
immutable if it precedes this one.