[dmd-concurrency] Smoke test

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Jan 7 13:18:41 PST 2010

Le 2010-01-07 à 15:51, Sean Kelly a écrit :

> The smoke test for me is that I think about whether it would work with per-thread GCs.
> [...]
> the heap data could easily be handed off to the shared GC instead, but let's pretend this is impossible

I'd really like this rule to be the official "smoke test" for the concurrency model. It's simple to conceptualize, not too hard to implement, and adaptable to many situations. It works in a model where each processor has a local memory pool not accessible to others, or where each thread is in reality a different process with some shared memory between the process.

I'm not against promoting memory blocks to the shared GC, but I'd like this to be just a feature of the GC in the runtime, not a requirement for the concurrency model to make sense. In a way, it shouldn't be done implicitly.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/