[dmd-concurrency] Vot de hekk is shared good for, anyway?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Jan 8 17:11:24 PST 2010

Le 2010-01-08 à 15:00, Walter Bright a écrit :

> Your proposal requires yet a new type constructor, "shared immutable", with a new set of rules and overloads. I don't think it's worth it. Currently, "shared immutable" == "immutable", i.e. the two are indistinguishable.

Since I don't think you'll change your mind at this point I'll rest my case. Let's forget about those per-thread GCs. ;-(

This leaves us with the following definitions to check our designs again:

* shared: applies to memory that can always be made visible to other threads
* immutable: applies to memory that cannot be changed and can always be made visible to other threads (and thus implicitly shared)

It's not exactly what I hoped, but it's still better than what I've seen in other languages, which practically means nothing.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/