[dmd-concurrency] draft 3

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Jan 11 13:51:41 PST 2010

On Jan 11, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Any implementation difficulties anyone is seeing so far?

The trick will be safely passing structured types containing references.  Initially we could simply forbid this, but we'll have to deal with it for serialization eventually.  I haven't run into any problems spawning threads using the new approach, passing messages via copying, etc though.  I expect once I start adding "shared" to the implementation I'll find myself wishing for tail-shared (for performance reasons, in instances where I know the reference isn't shared), so perhaps I should try that soon.