[dmd-concurrency] shared arrays

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Jan 15 05:43:34 PST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 7:20 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Speaking of which: is it reasonable to assume that all 32-bit modern architectures have a 64-bit atomic assign? How about 64-bit atomic CAS?

For x86, I think this is reasonable today.  I recall there being an issue a while back with some CPUs (I can't recall if they were from Intel or AMD) that were missing this instruction, but I think those days are gone.  Here's a page about Windows and 8 byte CAS I ran across that seems relevant:

http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=studies/windows/km/cpu/cx8.htm