[dmd-concurrency] Defining shared delegates

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 19 12:51:36 PST 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:20:07 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
<andrei at erdani.com> wrote:
> One suggestion about shared delegates: should we take the executive
> decision to not define them at all? There's nothing you can do with
> delegates that you can't do with classes. Although generally delegates
> do justify their existence because they're more comfy than e.g. local
> classes, it doesn't strike me as obvious we'll need comparable
> convenience when dealing with shared classes.
>
> Andrei

I can express pretty much all of my parallel research algorithms safely
using const delegates, I can't express any of them safely using a shared
class: I'd have to cast/cowboy everything. I'd think this will be true of
most OpenMP / data parallel algorithms. And I think not supporting data
parallel algorithms cleanly would be just as bad as not supporting clean
message passing.