[dmd-concurrency] socket to me

Kevin Bealer kevinbealer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 23:10:28 PST 2010

(Um, ignore the empty message I just sent.)

Earlier in this mailing list, it was mentioned that socket based connections
and inter-thread communication might both benefit from the message passing
design.  If I might jump the gun a bit (*), how do folks envision the socket
based system working?  If I bring up a new process, can it read a config
file for a host and port, then use that to join an existing set of processes
that somehow do D-messages-over-sockets?

Do we envision application (user) defined gateway processes on each end of
the socket or would the various CIDs in both processes be able to address
each other directly?  In other words, would we have a message passing fabric
with the inter-process relationships being destinations, or is the socket a
conduit for the message passing system's 'address' space so that addressing
on either side of the conduit is potentially transparent like handing a
letter to a postman (e.g. you don't need to tell him how to get it there)?

I don't think we should come up with a design for it now -- but some of
these decisions impact the message passing API in semi-subtle ways, so if
there were a few broad strokes it would make it easier to think about the
ramifications of message passing and clustering on each other.

Kevin