[dmd-concurrency] Shutdown protocol

Steve Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 09:27:57 PST 2010

----- Original Message ----

> From: Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei at erdani.com>
> Steve Schveighoffer wrote:

I can't say what method it uses to shut down.  I don't see how you can either unless you read the code.

What I can say is I've seen Firefox linger and even hang when I shut it down.  Often times I accidentally shut down firefox, and go to reopen it in about 5 seconds, and it says it can't start because there's already a process running and that process is shutting down.  Clearly it does some sort of cleanup, whether part of that is to wait for socket reads to time out, I'm not sure.

My larger point, however, is that the socket-shutdown facility you want to have is available to D applications.  But making it a *required* part is too much.  Maybe applications that don't shut down using this method don't make it on to your laptop, but that's hardly a reason to require all D applications to do it.  You are not the only user of D applications, and web browsing is not the only use-case for threading and sockets.

-Steve