[dmd-concurrency] Thread termination protocol (shutdown protocol evolved)

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Thu Jan 21 10:43:22 PST 2010

Michel Fortin wrote:
> Here is another idea for the "shutdown protocol".

On first read, it seems to have all desired features, the right
defaults, and the right amount of aggravation for the cases that do want
to ignore the defaults. Thanks Michel.

Let's discuss this some more and knock it into shape. My only mild
disagreement is that people can catch Terminate to continue spawning and
using threads indefinitely, but I'm willing to concede that point given
that the design is otherwise coherent.

But in that case I think we should make Terminate inherit Error, not
Exception. That way just writing catch (Exception e) won't catch
Terminate. Agree?

Andrei