[dmd-concurrency] real

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Thu Jan 28 13:38:33 PST 2010

Walter Bright wrote:
[snip]
> I've already made the argument for supporting 64 bit atomics where
> allowed by the architecture, and the tradeoffs, so I won't repeat it.

I'm a bit lost. Are you saying that we should allow this:

shared int[] a, b;
a = b[2 .. 3];

on some machines but not others? How is then anyone expected to write
reasonably portable code?

One great thing about Linux distros is that you are able to compile code
on your machine. You get the source code, you run configure, you run
make, you run make install, and you're good to go. How would it be to
see messages like "On this machine this entire feature and consequently
design doesn't work"?

I agree with disabling some feature on an odd machine, but not with
conditioning entire areas of the language on the machine they work on.
What is this, assembly language?

Andrei