[dmd-internals] changeset 455

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Wed Apr 28 13:16:35 PDT 2010

> On 04/28/2010 02:53 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I'm not sure to what extent segfaulting is detectable, but we
>>> definitely must find good ways to address that too.
>>>

>> Debuggers are the standard tool for that.
>
> I hear you but don't have one, and I swore to never use gdb. Ideally we

Why put that constraint on yourself? Debugging takes a fraction of the
time with a good debugger eg. gdb at your hands.

> should find a solution within the confines of the compiler.

Catching segfaults on linux is possible, it's hard to do and rather
hacky though, this doesn't seem like something that should be included
in the unittesting functionality. I guess a seperate process could be
spawned for unit testing, and if a segfault occurs a message saying so
could be given, but anything more seems excessive, and is the job of a
debugger. Doesn't seem right to integrate a full debugger into every app
compiled with unit tests.