[dmd-internals] changeset 455

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Wed Apr 28 13:53:05 PDT 2010

On 04/28/2010 03:35 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 04/28/2010 03:23 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> All I want is the compiler to utter the last started unittest if it
>> segfaults during unittesting. Although I do agree that may be
>> difficult to implement, I don't think it's a tall or unusual order.
>>

> The tester does print out failing unit tests as they happen, it does not
> save up the strings until the end.

Makes sense but it's not a reply to my point.

> When you run a program under a debugger, it gives you the file/line of a
> seg fault. Pretty much everything else a debugger does is fluff.

Many would disagree but that's besides the point.

All I'm saying is: instead of discussing the mechanics of why things
can't be made to work as they should and also discussing ways to make
things work with extra effort, let's focus on one thing and one thing
only: getting things to work the way they should work. And the way
things should work is clear: upon failure the unittest tells the point
of failure.

Andrei