[dmd-internals] DVCS and patches feedback [was: dmd commit, revision 515]

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 15:28:34 PDT 2010

Jason House, el  3 de junio a las 17:17 me escribiste:
> On Jun 3, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Leandro Lucarella <llucax at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Jason House, el  3 de junio a las 11:42 me escribiste:

> >>You're stacking the deck by skipping steps you put in the other list.
> >
> >What steps?
>
> From the original steps: 5bis, 6, and an equivalent of 1 for copy/
> paste of the URL. 5bis is really 90% (or more) of the work which is
> why the exact version control methodology is almost unimportant.

I think this is missing the point, but just for completeness, 1) is not
necessary for frequent contributors, as you can "alias" a remote repo.
Walter can do something like:
git remote add don URL_FOR_DON # once
git pull don BRANCH

5bis was covered by the other part of the e-mail. The ideal would be
that Walter give enough feedback to let contributors narrow that 90% to
nothing with enough time. Even more, as more people get expertise, other
people could do the patch reviewing/feedback, so the final patch that
Walter pull at the end don't take any Walter's attention. But again,
this is independent of the VCS.

> I'm not trying to argue for/against svn/git. I just want to ensure a
> balanced presentation of facts.

Excellent. I'm trying to do that too.