[dmd-internals] dmd test suite

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 14 01:05:00 PDT 2010

On 13 June 2010 11:30, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:
> I've just checked in the skeleton of a test suite for us to discuss and
> hopefully start adding to rather than continuing to expand the non-distributable
> one.

Some comments:
* This seems to be following the dstress design rather than the
internal test suite design, in that you have one bug per file.
That's great if you're developing a new compiler, but for regression
testing, it's going to be really slow, since the testing time depends
far more strongly on the number of files rather than the number of
tests. Even with the internal test suite, running all the tests takes
an annoyingly long time.
* I think it'd be nice if the tests were run in the order
most-recently-added first, rather than oldest-first. The reason for
this is that the more recent tests are nearly always tougher than the
old tests.
* It's in the DMD repository, which means only Walter has write access
to it. Of course it is important that the test suite always compiles
with the latest compiler update. But still, I'd hope that we can
reduce Walter's workload somehow.
(It's a particular problem while initially building up the test suite).