[dmd-internals] dmd commit, revision 553

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 21 21:12:27 PDT 2010

I'm not so much building a test suite as I am relocating as much of the
non-redistributable test suite as I can to a public/redistributable test suite.
 The files are coming over intact with some extremely minor edits to adjust
import names and paths.  In some cases I've done some s/write*/printf/ changes
to reduce the imports.  I've even stopped doing those because they require both
care and thought and are slowing down the conversion.

I agree that the existing names are mostly useless.  Blame history if you feel
like it.  But there's rather little obvious structure to the majority of it.

my goal: Finish the relocation (there's still a LOT left to move).  That's where
the value is.

Once that's done.. even then renaming is of only minor value, imho, since the
suite tends to be append only.  Touching existing tests risks invalidating what
they're intended to be testing.  Retesting back with a version of the compiler
that still reproduces the original bug is extremely tedious and likely outweighs
the value of the change.

Later,
Brad